Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caveseco-certified, family fun, glow-worm caves, Mt Tamborine attractions
There is something quite surreal about glow worms, especially when you’re standing in a cave surrounded en-masse by thousands of these magical critters. Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves is an adventure underground for all the family, only an hour from Brisbane and 30 minutes form the Gold Coast.
Your eco-certified Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Cave journey begins in a “presentation cave” – a chance to learn a little about glow worms and the building of these special man-made breeding caves, including the very realistic formations, such as stalagmites and stalactites, water features and flow stone.
From this stunning cave, you will be guided through the magical “Glow Worm cave“, filled with thousands of glowing Glow Worms – the experience is one you have to see to believe.
Points of interest
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves have been carefully designed and built to meet the very specific conditions glow worm colonies need to survive and stay healthy.
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves population of these mystical insects is on its way to becoming self-sufficient. The prey items (small fly species) needed to sustain the glow-worms are currently breeding and developing in a mulch and pond system within the cave.
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves are an eco-certified attraction, which is helping to preserve these incredible critters by creating the permanently moist habitat, essential for their survival. In the wild, glow worms are dependent on rainforests and wet caves, however in Australia suitable rainforest habitat is shrinking due to climate change and human impacts.
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves is the perfect place to see glow-worms without impacting on local rain-forests. Well-designed access to the Tamborine caves means more people are easily able to see this phenomena for themselves.
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves are located within Cedar Creek Estate Vineyard & Winery. The winery has many wonderful features including a restaurant, Cellar Door and Queensland Wine Centre tastings and Wild Duck Lake.
Things to do nearby
- Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves is one of a number of attractions on Mt Tamborine. For a fun day out, consider joining the hop-on-hop-off trolley tour - it's a flexible and fun way to see the mounain, especially for families and with 15 set stops you can do as much or as little as you like.
- Explore Tamborine National Park and Tamborine Skywalk for rainforest experiences or spend time in Gallery Walk's art galleries, boutique shops and cafes.