Beginner horse and pony trail rides are a Lillydale Farmstay speciality – a 30-minute or one-hour walking-pace ride on a super-quiet horse is a perfect opportunity to relax and enjoy the magnificence of the surrounding paddocks, forests, Scenic Rim namesake mountains and stunning south-east Queensland scenery.
A maximum of five people at a time go on a trail ride, to ensure personalised service, with riders given extra help by their guide if they have any difficulties.
Points of interest
- Pony Rides - 30 minute pony rides are available for children five years old and under. If you have two small children we are happy to separate the 30 minutes into two 15 minute rides.
- Saddle Club is available for children over 5 and is highly recommended if your child is nervous or hasn’t ridden a horse or pony before. Saddle Club introduces the children to grooming and caring for horses and ponies. This allows them time to get used to being around horses and ponies before they actually have to hop on and ride off.
- Riding lessons are available for a maximum of two people at a time. Your first lesson will teach you how to correctly guide your horse. By the end of your lesson you will be able to guide your horse to the left and the right, complete a simple obstacle course, walk the horse and trot the horse by yourself.
- Hosts Doug and Pam Hardgrave are fourth generation cattle farmers, who encourage guests to relax and experience a little bit of genuine Australian farm life.
- Set in the foothills of Mt Barney, Lillydale also offers well-appointed homestead suites and their new eco-cottage have become favorites for family holidays and those looking for weekend-away or short-break accommodation, close to Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
Things to do nearby
- The quaint little village of Rathdowney is a short 20 minute drive from Lillydale. There you can find a small convenience shop, selling fresh milk, bread, newspapers or other provisions and treats you may have forgotten.
- For a great-value counter meal, go nearby to The Rathy Pub, as it is affectionately known. Popular with the locals and visitors alike, this charming old-time drinking house also has a great garden out the back, where you can keep an eye on the kids. The Rathy also does take-home alcohol supplies